Buildings, like people, age, and their bodies break down over time. It can be fairly obvious when you need a hip replacement or a cavity filled, but you may not notice when your building needs a gutter inspection or vinyl siding repair. Listed below are several symptoms to look out for.
Warning Signs of Disrepair
- Windows: You notice condensation build-up on your windows. Moisture is able to get between the panes of glass, indicating that the window is not properly sealed.
- Siding: Even the smallest cracks and gaps jeopardize the structural integrity of a building. Moisture can creep its way into those cracks, rotting the wood beneath.
- Roof: If you notice that the shingles on your residential or commercial roof are curling at the edges, this is a clear sign that your roof is past its life expectancy, and must be repaired. Check your gutters for excess build-up of granules, which indicates that your roof has experienced significant wear and tear. Keep an eye out for areas of your roof that look dirty. This may actually be a sign of mold or fungus.
- Doors: Does your door open with ease, or does it scrape along the floor? Over time, doors can warp and sink, causing floor damage. Like windows, the seal around a door can crack, allowing a draft to creep inside.
- Floors: Cracks in your tiles aren’t just aesthetically unappealing, they can be a sign of a foundation problem, which will affect the rest of the building, too. Climate can also take its tole on your floors over time, indicating that you should invest in a type of flooring conducive to your geographical location.
If you have noticed any of these or other signs that your home or building needs some work, it is not wise to attempt to fix the problem on your own. Fortunately for you, there are currently more than 50,000 companies and organizations that specialize in the installation of residential and commercial roofing and siding, sheet metal work, and more. Contractors can also suggest the most durable and long-lasting options regarding windows, doors, roofs, and floors. For instance, metal roofing is becoming more popular due to its long life expectancy. Asphalt roofs, by contrast, require replacement every 12-20 years. More and more people are looking to replace their old doors with steel doors, as well, to increase protection and longevity.