This is the season of lights. From the bulbs that you put on the Christmas tree to the induction lighting that is used on a parking garage, there are many times when consumers have to make decisions about the kind of bulbs that they use. With an effort to make a home the most energy, for instance, many property owners are installing fluorescent tube replacements any time they have a traditional light bulb burn out. From the LED parking garage lighting that is now standard in many parts of the country to high intensity LED bulbs for grow houses, the lighting market is busier than ever before.
As more and more consumers work to decrease the amount of energy that they use to light their home is should come as no surprise that there are more and more companies producing fluorescent tube replacements and other energy efficient lighting options.
Lighting Provides Both Function and Mood
Although the life expectancy of an LED tube is roughly 50,000 hours, the average life expectancy of a fluorescent bulb and ballast is about 20,000 hours. Finding the right bulb, however, is a combination of the way the space will be used and understanding how you want the space to look. Under the cabinet lighting in a kitchen, for instance, can add a sense of warmness to the space. Consider some of these other facts and figures about the lighting industry and the impact that it has on the economy of the nation:
- At 60 or 70 more lumens per watt, induction lighting has high efficacy, which is defined as the ability to produce a desired or intended result.
- LED lighting has the potential to reduce U.S. energy usage by nearly 50%, according to predictions by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- While providing up to 85% more light output, LEDs use only 15% of the energy a standard halogen light uses.
- 22% of all electricity generated in the U.S. is used for lighting, according to Department of Energy statistics.
- Lighting accounts for nearly 18% of energy use in commercial buildings and 11% in residential buildings.
The Christmas and New Year’s seasons are a time when many of us increase the lighting that they use in their home. It is also time to make sure that the lighting that you are currently using is as effective and energy efficient as possible. You can do this by checking to see that you are using the right kind of light bulbs and fixtures. With the use of fluorescent tube replacements, for instance, it is possible to upgrade the lighting in a space and reduce the energy used.